Policy on APSOU Membership & Dues Collection
Article 4: Association Security of the Collective Bargaining Agreement addresses Dues Deduction (Section A) and Fair Share (Section B).
Article 1 of the APSOU Bylaws addresses association membership. The following is meant to complement these existing provisions.
The bargaining unit shall consist of all OUS faculty who meet all the conditions (1-4) enumerated below. For the purposes of this description the activities of library personnel and department chairs are considered to be teaching and/or research.
1) Faculty whose primary teaching and/or research assignment is at Southern Oregon University or who hold appointments with Southern Oregon University.
2) Appointments are at the rank of professor, associate professor, assistant professor, senior instructor, or instructor.
3) Employment during the nine-month academic year is at least half-time, i.e. 0.50 full-time equivalent (FTE).
4) Faculty whose primary duties are University-level teaching and/or research activities.
The right to vote and the right to hold office in APSOU are open only to association members (Bylaws: Article 1, Section 3). APSOU membership consists of all SOU faculty members who meet the membership criteria except:
1. faculty members who have elected to opt out and
2. faculty members who have requested not to be association members, but have not elected to opt out.
Dues Payment Procedure
All faculty identified as members of the APSOU bargaining unit will receive a memo on or around September 16 reviewing the membership criteria. Dues (or fair share payments) of $15 will be deducted from each of eight paychecks (October through May). Fifty percent of the dues collected will be used to cover each member’s dues to the Association of Oregon Faculties (AOF). If faculty members wish to opt out (by making the appropriate charitable contribution) and decline their membership, or feel they have been misidentified, they are to notify the APSOU treasurer prior to October 1.